Tuesday, April 28, 2009

SELF CONTROL

The words self control or self controlled are used 17 times in the Bible. So I think being self controlled is something that God wants for us. Being self controlled is a part of holy living. Yeah holy living, that is not something the church talks about much. Let me define my terms, being holy is not being conformed to the thinking of the world. It is truly being of the mindset of WWJD (What Would Jesus Do). Living holy is living by the Spirit.

So I think for believers to be self controlled means to give one’s self over to the Spirit to be controlled. It is a decision to be made each and every day, moment by moment. We need to pray without ceasing to be Spirit controlled. Since most of us do not pray without ceasing, we do not always live by the Spirit. We do not ask the Spirit to lead us because we want to do our own thing, follow our own sinful ways.

“So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.” Galatians 5:16-17

God knows how we humans are so He provides us with the opportunity of forgiveness when we fail. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” 1 John 1:9

Living a holy life, a Spirit filled life, takes a believer a lifetime to master. It is only mastered once you meet Jesus face to face.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, this is a topic most people really don't seem to give a lot of thought to. I mean REALLY think abour...as you said on a moment by moment basis. I agree, this is a VERY relevant topic. One that can be eternally discussed w/o complete resolution.

    The problems tend to lie in the transition of concept to practice. Not just people say one thing and do another; more sophisticated than that. Let's only discuss those who truely, in their hearts want to be like Christ.

    How many time have I been confused about whether I am waiting on the Lord or resting on my lorals? Am I waiting to be led, or wasting the resources God gave me to better or resolve situations? I am I not giving it to Him, or am I using the intellegence He gave me; hence waiting to be led when the answer has been given already? Along with free will, He gave us intelligence and resources.

    What I am trying to get at is even in constant prayer, there are some areas that are less black and white; even in the word itsself. We can hope that we have earned His favor enough for Him to completely order our steps, but do to our errors (even with guidance) or lessons we need to learn, consistant with our mission He's chosen for us, complete guidance may not be the order of the day.

    For lack of a better term, it seems to be a type of receipe---whereas there is a little of all of the aforementioned resources given by God to mankind (humankind).

    As a young person (not as young anymore) this has always been a constant area to develop, understand and/or master. I think whenever discussing this topic, if these issues are touched on, it will be advantageous to Christians trying to better themselves...but it rarely is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self-control. This is a biggie, because it effects our physical being as well as our spiritual selves. "Do I eat that brownie, or do I satisfy myself with just a glass of water?" This is an example of the type of daily temptations we face to indulge ourselves in all the good things God has given us. It certainly takes self-control to say, "No" to those brownies. Now, "Do I go along with the gossip at work?" is an example of a situation in the spiritual realm, that certainly needs not only self-control, but positive action. To go along with gossip is sin. And yes, Ouie, I agree that it is a minute-by-minute process that one can only accomplish with the help of the Holy Spirit. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses...For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2Cor.12:9-10 We weren't created weak, we fell into weakness, and Jesus is there to catch us and give us the strength to control our physical desires and spiritual sins. I look forward to that one day when I loose all self-control and run, weeping with pure joy into the arms of my Lord, and my God!

    ReplyDelete