Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Do you agree with me?

I believe true followers of Christ are of the universal church. I do not think there will be a Roman Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Assembly of God etc. sections in heaven. So I was hesitant in renting the movie Doubt because so often in movies people of the Christian faith are bashed. My husband and I watched the movie. We felt that it was well acted and that it was just a story and not the story of the Roman Catholic Church in the 1960’s.

I know many people whose church experience has brought them a true quality of life. But, I have friends whose church experience was negative, so negative in fact that they have stopped attending church. The bad thing about church is that it has people with issues and the good thing about church is that has people with issues. The Bible tells us “ And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25 NIV

When a church, the body of believers, is functioning properly the attendees are
- involved in true corporate worship
- loved
- comforted
- held accountable in a non judgmental way
- growing in their relationship with Jesus and with other believers
- giving freely and cheerfully to advance God’s Kingdom

Here’s something to think about: Would anyone say “I am going to stop driving because there are drunks on the road, reckless drivers, speeders, folks you can’t see well, folks whose reflexes are too slow, and some who just don’t know how to drive”. No, you drive because it has benefits to you that are worth the risk you take when you are on the road with those other people.

Finding a church home may take effort but the potential benefits to you are very much worth it. Do you agree with me?

6 comments:

  1. The church is supposed to be made up of the “called out ones” who have become20members of the family of God. Even if every one who was regularly involved with the church met this description there would be as many different characteristics/cultures of churches as there are of human families and with as many different levels of health as human families. I think how a person thinks about his/her own family and functions in it has a lot to do with how he/she thinks/experiences the church family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the driving analogy--spot on!

    Also liked the way you pointed out a church holds people accountable in a non-judgmental way. That's the justice and mercy balance Scripture calls for.

    And yes, heaven won't have the divisions that separate even Christians from each other. (Halelujah!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, loved the driving analogy. I think I will use it with friends who have stopped going to church because of a bad experience. As far as divisions among Christians, I believe that it grieves God's heart. Catholic, Protestant,Orthodox; we are not each other's enemies. We only have one enemy and it's Satan. One of my favorite verses is from
    John, "I pray also for those who will believe in me through their(the apostles)message, that all of them may be one Father, just as you are in me and I am in you." As our world darkens, let us pray for true Christian unity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I want to hear more about what you thought of "Doubt"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Disagree, to an extent. Yes, generally people wouldn't keep driving because of other people but what if you recognize (or at least feel you are one of the people with slow reflexes, or the drunk) many times, shame and feeling unworthyness keeps people from feeling comfortable at church. That coupled with the varied receptions assists with these "issues". latergical worship is grand and called for by GOD, but the greatest is the recognition of HIM in you. With that recognition, you can worship.

    I PERSONNALLY feel that where you worship is less important than THAT you worship. Is staying in your home with your children, reading scripture less of a church than that with non relatives. Can or even "SHOULD" your church home be your home?

    I move alot. I also try to be sincere, right or wrong. When I first moved to Nevada we found a wonderful church home!!! With a leader that was truely called. We went to Church even when it wasn't Sunday, and became active. We relocated to Reno and found new surroundings that didn't radiate the presence of GOD. Everywhere is not like Chicago where you have a choice. I am selective of my leaders, because my natural leader, Jesus, is close to me so I find very little need for other if I don't see HIM in them first. Hence I call MY leader, in the place I constantly ask HIM to bless and direct, to give me the wisdom to lead my family in service until liturgical worship is a sincere alternative. Not just an alternative, but a sincere one.

    I think we have grown closer to GOD. I know we have grown closer to the word.

    Don't get wrong, I know the value of a Church home. When I fly home, I intentionally stay over a Sunday (or arrive early) to stop in at Greater Mount Moriah. I find the leadership to be called as well as the fact that almost one hundred years of Bolton's prayers have gone up in that place----similar to my home.

    I agree that slitting hairs of denominations is just a matter of like perspectives worshiping the same thing in slightly different ways. If you are comfortable...then you can worship. many things (not just the people there) affect presence at church.

    ReplyDelete