
Hair is such a big deal in our culture but this is not something new. In the 1st century A.D., Peter cautioned women that their beauty should not come from the adornment of their hair (1Peter 3:3). Is anyone listening to Peter today on this issue? Hair care products are a multi-billion dollar industry. We color our hair. If we have curly hair, we want straight hair. If we have straight hair, we want curly hair. If we have thick hair, we have it thinned. If we have short or thin hair, we add hair. We buy hair and have it added on by combs, sewing or glue. (It is not recommended that one use glue but it is cheaper that having it sewn in.)
Sistahs sometimes have additional issues to deal with. Our natural styles may not look “professional “to some. Our hairstyles can also appear to be making a political statement when one is not intended. I do not know any Black woman who straightens her hair to “be like a White woman” but so that her hair is easier to manage and to have more options. That is why I relaxed my hair for the past 30 years, but now I am transitioning to my natural hair. It is time for a change. After all, isn’t it common for women my age to “change” :)
PS This transistion will take months.
Hey Ouie, based on the picture, I think the natural look makes you look younger, and everyone I know who is over the 50 mark always wants to look younger. Nothing wrong with that, especially in our youth driven culture, unless we start acting immature.
ReplyDelete