Wednesday, December 21, 2011

GIFTS

We’re not big in Christmas gift-exchanges at my house. My husband and I have not exchanged gifts for birthdays or Christmas for years. However, I do ask my sons to give me gifts because they should be in the habit of giving gifts to the woman in their life. Most women like gifts. I would be doing them a disservice otherwise.

Receiving gifts is not my love language; time is mine. Gifts are alright, but give me some time via face or phone. Yet, the gifts that I enjoy most are items I would not buy for myself, such as Christmas décor, jewelry, kitchen gadgets, theatre tickets, and restaurant gifts cards.

There is one gift I have received that is priceless, the gift of Salvation. I am so glad that the way to heaven cannot be earned because I am convinced I could never earn it. How could I possibly do all the right things to make God happy when I cannot do all the right things to make me happy? I disappoint myself all the time, daily.

Realizing the value of this eternal gift and the price tag for us (while it cost Jesus His life, it is free to us.), I want to tell others. Don’t you tell others when you find a great deal? The great deal God offers is this: accept the fact that you cannot earn your way to heaven on your own effort, but you can be reconciled to God by accepting what Jesus has done for you. He can do all the right things to make God happy.

This Christmas let’s spend some time reflecting on what we’re celebrating. Let me know if you want to talk about it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment