Friday, January 1, 2010

HOLY LIVING

I admit that I am one who so sometimes makes New Year’s resolutions. Usually they are the eat right, exercise more, read the Bible more variety. But in recent weeks I have been thinking more about holy living. If I lived a life of holy living, I would never have to make a New Year’s resolution again.

First, I must say that I am mighty grateful to God that ” … we are made right with God through faith and not by obeying the law” Romans 3:28 NLT. After 50 years of living, I am convinced that if salvation was based on obeying everything I should do in the Bible that I would be on my way to H-E-double hockey sticks. With that being said, I think we should have a different mind set as believers.” Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2 NLT. When we change the way we think our actions should change.
“What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless. Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.” James 2:14-18 NLT

I will show you my faith by my good deeds. What is a good deed? I will say, how does the deed line up with a WWJD check. I am going to call that holy living, making choices with our renewed, Christlike mind, guided by the Holy Spirit. “But as the One Who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all your conduct and manner of living. For it is written, You shall be holy, for I am holy” 1 Peter 3:15 -16 AMP

So if I apply the above scriptures to my daily living, in all my conduct and manner of living, all choices and decisions should be made with my renewed mind of Christ. This, of course, is a goal that I cannot completely achieve this side of glory, but one that I should strive. I should not let my times of missing the mark get me down because I will keep in mind that my salvation is from faith and not by works.

“We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.” Hebrews 12:2a

1 comment:

  1. You
    are right on regarding holy living. Because it has so much to do with our
    thinking, here is my challenge to you... or perhaps you are already doing this?:
    memorize scripture. Going over and over the Word, letting it dwell actively in
    our mind is like washing a very dirty window with Windex. Over time, life looks
    different; circumstances take on new meaning, the Son of God becomes even more
    precious. "

    ReplyDelete