Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Bags"

but you may call it "cornhole", "cornhole toss" or "beans bags" but younger beloved calls it bags.

He loves bags and it was a must have for his graduation\18th birthday party. I bought a bean toss game at Walmart but it was not of the "Official Cornhole Association" version. Yes, there is an "Official Cornhole Association", so we borrowed one from a friend. I had not played the until this year. I had lived 50 years before experiencing this fine game. I wish I had had the experience earlier in life.

Bags is a game anyone can play. Unlike "Boggle", "Scrabble" or "Pictionary" it does not involve thought, which for some people thinking and fun are mutually exclusive activities. It is also an equalizer, an 18 year old and 82 year old can play. This was the case last month , when we had a family gathering. We made up house rules. Since we had nine players, we made up teams with three players each with one toss each per round. One team played "cheer leaders" to the other two teams as the competed. It was a lot of fun. I wished that we had obtained the game years ago for friends and family use. Why?, you may ask. It is my belief when people feel that they are "of equal value" with others they can be in a relationship with them. God made us for community, relationships. In good relationships we are challenged and grow. Growth is good.

I had the opportunity to play bags yesterday with a staff member during my lunch hour. I won, by the way :) I think our relationship grew a little. I need to get me that game!

No comments:

Post a Comment