I will stick with the gifts listed in the Pauline epistles. On second thought, this one may be derived from Paul’s list. Paul lists helps and service as gifts and hospitality is a form of these gifts. The website Cyber Ministry lists hospitality as a gift as does the book I spoke of a few weeks ago, May 27 and June 4, Network.
The website Cyber Ministry defines the gift of hospitality as the special ability that God gives to certain members of the body of Christ to provide open arms, open house and warm welcome for those in need of friendship, a warm welcome, food and lodging
Hubby and I don’t have this gift, but sometimes I wish I did. I know we should not covet others gifts but I am being honest. For those who I think have the gift, having people in their home is effortless, it comes naturally like breathing. It gives me stress. But I do like people and having meaningful conversation. In the last five years we have only had one person/family in our home for a meal who was not a blood relative.
The website Cyber Ministry defines the gift of service as the special ability that God gives to certain members of the body of Christ to identify unmet needs involved in a task related to God’s work, and to make use of available resources to meet those needs and help accomplish the desired goals. I have a friend who I think has the gift of service.
His reputation preceded him. Three years ago, a friend called me, I could hear in her voice that she about to cry. She told me of what a great guy this football coach was and asked if younger loved one had told me about him. I told her “no”. Coach was an offensive coach and my boy played defense. By day three on my new job, I wondered if I was in over my head. His “duty post” was near my assignment. I approached him, introduced myself and told him that his reputation had preceded him and asked him to pray for me immediately. He did. My job has been easier ever since. He encourages me while at work and advises me. He has been around high schoolers a lot longer that I have. He willingly helped me when I asked for his guidance on the road to a size healthier. He is a P.E. teacher and has worked as a personal trainer. I was able to break plateaus that I previously had been unable to in decades. He reads my blogs and gives comments that are helpful. He used his truck to move a sofa for me and would not accept payment not even gas money. Last week he brought his family to my home to help with back breaking yard work in the heat and would not accept payment.
He and his family serve the body of believers because of their Christian love. They are the only non blood relatives who I spoke of above who have had dinner in our home in the last five years. My family loves this guy and his adorable family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! What a blessing... I'm glad to have had the privilege to read about, as well as to know, such a great friend! Thanks for sharing with me.
ReplyDelete