Thursday, June 11, 2009

Loving Day

"It’s not a “Hallmark” holiday,but June 12 is LOVING DAY. On that day in 1967 the U.S. Supreme Court declared that laws banning marriages between the races were unconstitutional. In 1967 there were still several states that had laws against miscegenation. Relationships between the races were deemed “unnatural,” and marriage - a legal binding contract, illegal. Loving Day has a double meaning because the case (Loving vs. Virginia) that the Supreme Court heard, involved the 1958 marriage between Richard Loving, a white man, and Mildred Jetter, a black woman, in Virginia. The Lovings were arrested in their home and told to leave the state for 25 years or face imprisonment."

The above is from an article my friend wrote for the June 2009 issue of the monthly magazine Positively Naperville, I won't use her name because I do not use my name in blog. She is like me in that our knights in shining armor are white, we fell in love with white guys.

Some have felt, and some still do feel that the Bible supports miscegenation. I believe the Bible clearly states that marriage prohibitions were based on believers marrying non believers. If one married a nonbeliever it could open the door for believers to turn away from God. The Old Testament has a number marriages where the nonbeliever chose to follow the God of the believer so these marriages were fine.

Tomorrow I will toast the Lovings with some sparkling grape juice.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ouie, it is certainly not a coincidence that the man's last name was Loving. LOVING, indeed, is a fitting name for this court ruling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I'm proud to be a Southern Lady. There are times I do not agree with what some did in the past . . .

    ReplyDelete